Assisted Reproductive Technology (ART) Support
Our modern world has made significant advances in the realm of reproductive medicine. There are many situations where natural conception is not possible. Thankfully, intra-uterine insemination (IUI) and in-vitro fertilization (IVF) help these individuals to create a family.
IUI and IVF are helpful for same sex couples and those unable to conceive due to blocked, damaged or absent fallopian tubes, genetic disorders, advanced maternal age, premature ovarian failure, male and female unexplained infertility and situations where one is unresponsive to other treatments for fibroids, cysts and ovulatory disorders.
Acupuncture and Chinese Medicine has been clinically proven to increase chances of success with both IVF and IUI. In fact, one study documented clinical pregnancies in 34 of 80 patients (42.5%) in a group who received acupuncture before and after FET (fetal embryo transfer), whereas pregnancy rate was only 26.3% (21 out of 80 patients) in the control group, which did not receive acupuncture.
Acupuncture can help with each specific phase of ART from prepping for egg retrieval to fetal embryo transfer treatments to implantation support.
- Increase blood flow to the uterus
- Decrease side effects of pharmaceutical drugs
- Improve sperm quality and motility
- Decrease chances of miscarriage
- Reduce stress and anxiety
- Improve success rates for IVF and IUI patients
Ready to get started?Book Now
Acupuncture and IVF-Recommended Treatment Schedule
Preparing for egg retrieval
- 9 Treatments in the 6 weeks leading up to retrieval
Between retrieval and FET
- Weekly acupuncture treatments
Fetal Embryo Transfer (FET)
- Either 1 pre-transfer and 1 post-transfer treatment within 24-48 hours of transfer at Wild Rose Fertility OR 1 pre-transfer and 1 post-transfer treatment within 30 minutes of transfer at your fertility clinic.
- 2-3 treatments leading up to beta-hCG, ideally the first 5-7 days post FET.
- Weekly treatments during weeks 1-12
- Monthly treatments during weeks 13-34
- Weekly treatments during weeks 35-Birth
IVF/IUI Acupuncture Research
- Acupuncture on the day of embryo transfer significantly improves the reproductive outcome in infertile women: a prospective randomized trial.
- Effects of acupuncture on pregnancy rates in women undergoing in vitro fertilization- a systematic review and meta-analysis
- Impact of whole systems Traditional Chinese Medicine on in vitro fertilization outcomes
- Acupuncture and Chinese herbal medicine effects on assisted reproductive technology: six cases and their clinical significance
- IVF, acupuncture and mental health- a qualitative study of perceptions and experiences of women participating in a randomized controlled trial of acupuncture during IVF treatment